This page has specific information about Wessington Church, its history and some details about Wessington parish. For services, activities, events, contacts and directions, please follow the links above.
Christ Church Wessington
Christ Church stands opposite the village green in Wessington; there are several wells near by which are decorated for the annual Well Dressing weekend usually held over the first weekend in July. On the Saturday, after much hard work preparing the decorations, there is an opening service in church followed by a Blessing of the Wells.
Christ Church recently had a major renovation and the benefit of a new Meeting Room constructed alongside the church. This Meeting Room is well used by local groups such as the Mums and Toddlers and the local Parish Council.
Church members are especially pleased to have good links with the local primary school children, parents and teachers.
The church is decorated with flowers and open for refreshments and for sale of plants, jam, cakes and a splendid range of bric-a-brac.
The trail round the wells leads up local roads and across the village green to the various wells.
Wessington Church History
In March 1859 the parish of Wessington was formed out of the parish of Crich. Christ Church Wessington was dedicated by the Bishop of Derby and the first vicar was the Revd Joseph D. Miller. At that time the church could accommodate around 170 seated parishioners, but in 1884 the church was renovated and improved to cater for 208. The population of the village at that time was 609.
Further renovations took place in 1906 but in 1995 a legacy of £5,000 provided the opportunity and the initial momentum required to start the more recent renovations. Fund raising efforts and a grant from the Millennium Commission raised sufficient money to build an extension providing a meeting room, toilet facilities and a store room.
The main body of the church was reordered to provide a kitchen and chairs replaced the pews to enable more flexibile seating arrangements. A grant from English Heritage helped with the cost of repairing the roof but much of the money was met by fund raising efforts and generous support of our parishioners, friends and families.
These improvements were completed in time for the 150th anniversary of Christ Church Wessington in 2009 which was celebrated with events throughout the year.